Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high. Blood glucose is your primary energy source that comes from the food you eat.
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), about 30.3 million people in the United States, or 9.4 percent of the population, have diabetes, and more than 1 in 4 of them don’t even know they have the disease. Diabetes is so prevalent. Everyone needs to know how dangerous and tricky this illness is because unmanaged diabetes can lead to various health complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, eye problems, dental disease, nerve damage, and foot problems.
So how do we prevent diabetes complications? Here are some ways:
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control
- Make a commitment to managing your diabetes and avoid smoking
- Schedule regular physical and eye exams and keep your vaccines up to date
- Consider taking daily aspirin and make sure to get it from a reliable pharmacy
- Take care of your teeth and make sure to pay attention to your feet and wounds
Diabetes is a condition that many patients have to live with every day. With the proper care and supplies, the risk of developing complications from this condition can be minimized. As a trusted retail pharmacy in Union City, New Jersey, we at Prescription Center Pharmacy are here to help you manage your diabetes by making sure that our pharmacy has all the diabetic supplies that you need available, such as lancets, syringes, blood sugar monitor, and others.